Friday, March 19, 2010

Hickman Catheter installed Mar 18th

Thursday was another interesting day. Had to go the the U of Wash by 7am ( yuk) to get the central line put in and my port taken out. Not even any coffee beforehand....Do these people realize what they put us through??
The port was used for chemo so my veins wouldn't get trashed with the chemo. It was put in my left chest right after diagnosis and worked well.
They need a large bore central line tied into my veins to take and give blood and for the stem cell harvest. It was put in my right side chest and the port taken out during the same operation. Conscious sedation is what it is called and I certainly was conscious this time. The last 2 times, I didn't remember a thing, but they evidently didn't give me such a large dose this time..remember chatting with the nurse and feeling some "work: being done...kinda cool.
Tired and sore today (Fri), but feel better this afternoon.
Went to get taught how to flush the Hickman and change the dressing this afternoon.
Fortunately the RN I live with knows how to do this stuff and I don't have to worry about it.
Flush it daily and change dressing weekly. Still can shower with it and they gave me a little necklace to secure/hang it with to keep from accidentally pulling it out. Hmmm..Maybe I can fill a syringe with coffee and mainline it along with some 90 wt gear oil so I don't go into with drawls.
That's all till Monday's chemo for 8 hrs to start the cell mobilization.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm, mainlining coffee....what a great idea. Steve has often suggested it to me. I'm glad to hear things are chugging along. But I don't know HOW you can actually leave the house without caffeine. Hope Monday isn't too tough.

    ReplyDelete