Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Daryl's Multiple Myeloma Blog

Here goes my venture into the blogosphere to let those who wish, view my fight with MM (Multiple Myeloma), an incurable genetically caused disease of the White blood cells and bone marrow.

Some of this might be a bit wordy, but for most of you, the whole process is new and may give you some insight to my new world and that of some others "blessed" with my new reality.


Currently it is March 10th of 2010, just so ya know...Been asked to let my peeps know whassup, so here we go. I can't promise to make daily or even weekly updates, but will post when something of note happens.( or when I am bored out of my wits)


This all started in late August of 2009 with my left hip suddenly starting to hurt more than just the aches and pains of 58 yr. old age...I skied a pile of vertical last year (Just under 300 thousand) and figured I was in pretty darn good shape overall with no health issues.


Down at Mogfest in Oregon, I was starting to hobble around with the fairly sudden onset of left hip pain and feeling quite tired to boot. Knew something was afoot that I wouldn't like.


Made an appt with a known good ortho doc to have a look see. His name is Dr. Stanley Kopp, and he is a truly great diagnostician to pick up this from an MRI picture. He checked me out and decided I needed an MRI and X Rays as something didn't quite make sense to him.


He took a look at the MRI and called me to suggest I do some research on MM and make an appt with my G.P. Doc. for further tests. He spotted a 12mm lesion(hole)in my left hip with more smaller holes in the femur,ribs, skull. He gave me a list of what to have checked and off I went to find out how much trouble I was in.

Took the list to my long time GP doc, Dr Barry Marmorstien, and hit him with it all at once..OK Doc..Got pictures..need at least these tests..got a full body scan scheduled and an appt with an oncologist I trusted after he got my youngest son back from the brink with Testicular cancer 4 yrs ago...About all he could say was you got it well covered..Good Luck


Bottom line was ..A week later I was starting chemo at Cascade Cancer Center at Evergreen Hosp in Kirkland WA. with Dr Matt Lonergan.

Cancer hits everyone differently ..My brain was totally screwed up for about 3 weeks till it all started to become my "new reality". Dont think my poor wife has fully recovered yet, but she is a trooper and as an RN, knew much of what I would be going thru.
I thought that working would be mostly out of the question till my middle son, Matt, said he wanted to keep the business going while I was going thru this. So I started to teach him to rebuild Vanagon transmissions while I did the rest of them. Best thing I had done in a long time..After a few weeks, I could deal with parts, shipping, chemo and talk on the phone and trannies still got done...Amazing how much of a load off my mind and it felt like semi-retirement..Really cool after 6 or 7 day, 70 hour weeks for a few years in Spring and Summer..

Dr Lonergan put me on Velcade and Dex for the treatment. 2 weeks on, Mon & Thurs, and 1 week off for the body to rest with no break for the Dex. Each 3 weeks is a "round" of chemo and 6 rounds (18 weeks) is the norm. Fortunately I am generally in pretty good shape and the chemo, Velcade (actual name is bortizimib) didn't bother me much..Tired overall, but not debilitating and no nausea or hair loss. Now the Dex.... (dexamethasone) is a different story...It is a corticosteroid (sorry, no muscle building here) and makes some people literally crazy with a wild variety of symptoms..I was hyper and wired for most of 3 days after my Thursday 40mg of pills..Not able to sleep the 1st night much, if any, and gradually better the following days. Crashed hard on Sundays, then back to "normal" for a few days. Gotta admit I got a heck of a lotta work done Thurs and Fri every week.

The basic chemo and all went pretty smoothly overall. Lots of trips to the infusion room to get "poisoned" by the sweetest and most compassionate nurses around I think.
Home to relax and recover a bit till the next go round.
Blood work was taken frequently to look for a pile of different things from white blood and platelet counts to the "M" protein (the Myeloma protein marker) to see how I was progressing.
Counts were gradually lowering and the Velcade was doing its thing quite well to kill the Myeloma cells and the Dex was keeping the remaining bad cells from eating into my already fragile bones.
Fragile bones in the body core is the main symptom from what I gather. Many MM patients have collapsed vertebrae after a while and are diagnosed from those type of injuries.
I personally had hip and back pain deep in the bones. Woke up one morning with a cracked rib...Guess I couldn't ski this year huh..trees and I dont always get along.
Bone pain generally went away gradually with the treatment..Still some different spots of pain here and there, but not very bad.

Now..after the basic chemo had been completed and my M spike went from a 3.7 down to a .3, then I was suddenly the property of the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance or SCCA. SCCA is a part of The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center along with the University of Washington. One of the top cancer groups in the country and I am fortunate enough to be so close to them for treatment.
Treatment of MM is kind of a misnomer..No way to get the genes back to their previous state and let the white cells die off after they do their immune system thing, so all we can do it put it into remission for a while and then go on to the next best newest greatest treatment.
Thalidymide, Revlemid and Velcade are the main drugs used currently. Lots of other drugs I know nothing about are combined and used when the first don't work any longer.
Chemo is like bullets..Once you use one..Its gone... and you try the next one and hope it works. There are always many trials going on with different combinations and doses to see what works best.
The next best thing for many of us who are able to get our M spike and basic counts where they should be is a Stem Cell Transplant or SCT. And that is where I am presently.
Going thru a battery of tests to see what protocalls will work for me to harvest my own stem cells. I am having my own cells harvested and reinfused which is called an Autologous transplant. If I got them from my brother, for example, it would be an Allogenaic transplant.
Gotta post this to start with and will continue another time to get all the basics written down.


53 comments:

  1. Daryl,
    Thanks for having the courage to share what you are going through and for keeping folks updated on your treatment and recovery. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and checking this blog often. You know how to find me if I can assist in ANY way.
    Andrew
    aka The TurboTransporter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep us posted when you can. And thanks for this effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daryl my good thoughts are with you

    Hobie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there Daryl, You've got friends sending out the good vibes.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richie from New Zealand.
    I haven't had anywork done by you yet Darryl but it is comming in the near future I'm sure.
    All the best for the road ahead. My Mum is just comming out of having 8 months of Kemo etc for breast cancer so I have a fair idea what you maybe going through. Keep fighting.
    Richie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daryl,

    We have only talked once on the phone, but it was a great conversation! I was amused, educated and motivated. Such a quick and informal interface (well, 25 minutes or so) really stuck with me, to the point that I decided "I don't know what my rig is going to need, but that dude is going to do it!" Anyway, I hope a few positive words help you a bit in your predicament as well. I look forward to your full recovery, so I can drive up, talk shop and get some of your Vanagon magic. I will follow your updates closely. Positive vibrations from Salt Lake City!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daryl, This is Heavy Stuff and you are remarkable for sharing it with us with good humor and unfailing honesty. My thoughts, as always, are with you!
    Peace,
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hang in there Daryl; your state of mind is one of your best weapons in fighting cancer. We've never met, but I appreciate all you do for the VW community.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Daryl,
    There's few doctors who can explain everything as lucidly as you have done - come to think of it, exactly the same applies to the way you run your business.
    The lads and one lass of the Syncro_T3_Australia group all wish you well.
    Les Harris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yo Daryl,
    Here's to pulling through to a steady remission state. Both my parents had cancer of various types within the past couple of years, and I know how hard it is.
    Plus, you had better get back to work, I still need to get a transmission from you. =)
    Sudhir

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello dear friend,
    You know you've been in my prayers for awhile now. As has been said, thanks for showing us the courageous path of this thing so many of us seem to come across. I'm so impressed with how alert and eloquent you are in the midst of this difficult treatment and journey. And thanks for passing on to us all, the fine example of what a cohesive and cooperative unit your family is in this.
    I'll be headed for Santa Barbara beginning of April for the 3.0 "stem-cell-transplant" in what has become "6-PAK" (you know how we are with these vans). Looking forward to seeing you and your bride a little later this year in the Red Sandstone Forrest in SE Utah.
    My love and good wishes,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  12. Daryl,
    Buddy, I'm so proud of you I could just bust!!!
    Keep on it!
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  13. Daryl,

    We're all thinking positive thoughts about you on the List.

    Great blog writing! Keep it up.

    My Wife is one of those compassionate Infusion Room RN's here in Salt Lake City, so I have an idea of what you are going thru w/ all the "poisoning". Hang in there & keep up the great attitude!

    Best Regards,

    Mr. BZ-300K vertical- impressive, stem cell transplant, priceless?

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are all with you Daryl.
    Take care

    Best Wishes

    Bernie Steininger
    Vancouver

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for keeping us updated. You've been in our thoughts and prayers. Hope the quilt is keeping you nice and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Daryl, men I'm with you, i finally understand clearly what is your problem. I miss you already. Stay strong, please! I tell you bro, as soon as your well we are taking a small roadtrip.

    Ben
    http://www.benplace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Darryl - thank you for using this blog to keep us informed of your progress with this. You have a great attitude, keep it going! We are all rooting for you and looking forward to when you can help us solve our transmission problems, of which there are many! Will keep following your blog as I know everyone on the Vanagon list will be doing.

    Best wishes,

    Alan Felder
    82 Diesel Westy
    Austin, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope all goes the best way it can. My thoughts are with you

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Daryl,
    We've spoken once when my transmission started making noises about 1500 miles from home, you put my mind at ease and it was a pleasure and honor to speak with you! Your reputation precedes you and I hope to someday have a chance to meet you, and have you do some transmission work for me!
    In the meantime, you are in my prayers, thoughts, and concerns. You have a great deal of great people to help you when you need it and I hope that helps with your recovery.
    Be strong.

    Sincerely,
    Craig Cowan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing your story. I will keep you in my prayers.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  21. Daryl-
    You recently rebuilt my Syncro Tranny- During that process I actually went out of my way to call you for an update several times because I knew I was in for a chuckle! I can't wait to meet you- All the best.

    Thanks for everything-

    Korn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Daryl,

    There are lots of good wishes coming your way from the Vanagon community! Add mine to the list.

    I used to be one of those chemo nurses so I have some idea what you are going through. Keep your spirits up - one day this will be a part of your past.

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Daryl,
    Many good thoughts from Colorado headed your way. Maybe next year you could settle for 200k of vertical. Then back to 300k!
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  24. Daryl,

    hang on there, be strong. As soon as you get better, we'll go to MogFest to test the transmission you did for my Syncro.

    Hugo Varotto
    Renton

    ReplyDelete
  25. here's to many more years of greasy hands and phones ringing off the hook!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Daryl,

    Best of luck for the road ahead! I've been through similar experimental stuff with my first daughter and with friends. Sounds like you're doing just great! Sending you lots of good energy.

    Peter Buettner

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have to thank you for sharing your story and wish you the all the best. I also was on Dexamethasone for a nerve injury recently and wondered about the the same symptoms that I also experienced.
    The tranny you rebuilt for me,(with Jon Wessels) is running perfectly!
    Gordon Gill
    '90 Syncro Westy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Daryl,
    As in our private email communications, Cynthia and I are beaming positive energy and all our prayers for a most rapid and successful path through this ordeal. Hopefully you & Mrs. will hit the road in your Westy ("Ford-Powered") and we'll see you in Tahoe, at SDM10, around your place, or ... as you say; The Canyon of Grand :-). For now, thank you for the well-written blog and status -- we'll keep pulling for you and keep apprised of your posting as you are able to write them.
    Best,
    Lee in Tahoe

    ReplyDelete
  29. Daryl-

    We have talked via the Bostig website and on the phone. We first met in person at Mogfest where you were feverishly showing off your Zetec to many a folk.
    Cancer is a serious pain in the ass. As my mom said, "Attitude is everything." Stay positive, think positive thoughts, and surround yourself with positive folks. Keep up the good fight!
    Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
    -Drew (Conant.D -The Samba)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Daryl,

    You rebuilt my Syncro tranny about fives years back and you even spent time with me when I stopped in at your shop to show me the innards of my tranny (as well as some nifty pointers about how it was built, what to do and especially what NOT to do). We've talked at length on the phone about solutions to an aging CV unit... I'm counting on you to be there!

    Thanks for sharing you life with us, in the past , in the now and with whatever comes along. -Perry Wales

    ReplyDelete
  31. Daryl - I think I can confidently say best wishes from all of us in the VW community. I have had some cancer experience within my family and one thing I can recommend is that acupuncture is highly effective at helping your body recover from the chemo sessions. The doctors like that because it has you more ready for the next session and more likely to benefit from the treatment. Take a look into it, a few more pricks won't hurt at this point.

    hugs to you - Topher

    ReplyDelete
  32. Daryl.

    You and your family are going through a really tough time. I understand. Obviously you have great support from your family and friends. You have a great attitude too. As many can relate, all this counts for a LOT.

    Also, thanks for your email pointers re my DK transmission and foray into learning about rebuilding. Still have yet to swap stuff blah blah blah, but am gettin' on it.

    Keep up the great work and attitude!

    Neil Nicholson (that guy with a JETTA engine... not a Zetec or Suby. heh heh)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Daryl -- all I can offer is prayers and the the thought that anyone who has bee dealing with Vanagons as long as you have is a proven fighter. All the best............

    Doug Alcock

    ReplyDelete
  34. Good Luck on the road ahead and thanks for sharing with us, you are in our prayers

    Jerry L Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  35. Daryl,

    Let's see. It is starting to pop out of first gear. I'm currently using Valvoline 90 wt gear lube,.... no.....wait. Wrong page!

    Get better. You better. I got over 330,000 on my Subie/Vanagon!

    Former roadcow owner,
    Ron Bloomquist

    ONWARD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Dear Daryl,
    Thanks for providing an update on your status. Tom and I wish you the very best with your ongoing battle with MM. Here's hoping we can see you at a Wetwesties outing this year. Take care,
    Joan Ritzenthaler
    '87 Westy Syncro

    ReplyDelete
  37. Daryl:

    As your brother, I am continually amazed at the stuff you do. But because I have known you all my life, witnessing your courage in dealing with this dreadful disease is truly inspiring; but not unexpected. Witnessing you writing a blog; "I" may never recover!^)

    Love you, Dale

    ReplyDelete
  38. all i can offer you is prayers ... said as if one were handing an emptiness to those who desire much ...
    my own offer of that same panacea seems to lack the evidence of being done ...
    there is ...in reality nothing else to offer one in need other than prayer ... from that will be born the next right thing to do ...
    There must be a lifetime of thought in the last second if we are to live from moment to moment ...
    yours roger w aka Laston Lastof

    ReplyDelete
  39. Daryl,

    Good luck and thank you so much for sharing.
    I am glad we met at SdM last year.
    We'll met again soon I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Daryl, I have never met you, but know you are world famous. I have alway intended to drop by your shop one day to show off my Eurovan syncro and ask a couple of questions. I am counting on you kicking this thing so I may do that. After May 1st if you need a little fun, come to Pier 54 in Seattle at let me treat you and your wife to a sail. Paul www.sailingseattle.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Daryl:
    All the best to you as you work your way through this temporary setback. Certainly hope that all goes as well as possible. Thanks for sharing your amazing words/attitude.
    Brent Weide
    Portland, Oregon
    www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/

    ReplyDelete
  42. Daryl,

    My neighbor did the chemo on thyroid cancer. He helped me work on my house during his treatment, sound like you teaching your son. He's been in remission for over 7 years now. They did a bone marrow transplant on him.

    Wish you a speedy recovery.

    - Dan

    ReplyDelete
  43. Daryl,
    As a Syncro owner, Yahoo group member and a fellow MM survivor stick it in four wheel drive and take each slope as best you can.

    It is a big hill but your gears can make it.....

    I had an Allogenic transplant 5 years ago which is out of the ordinary but if I can help in any way please get in touch.

    Keep Strong...like your transmissions.
    Best regards,
    Richard Bell

    Dana Point, CA
    rppbell@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Daryl, thank you for sharing this with us. I was very sad to hear the news, of course, but i am so impressed with your handling of your new circumstances and your outlook that I am very encouraged.

    You have a million friends and fans out here who are with you! You've been great to us for so many years generously sharing and helping distraught syncraughts with their tranny problems. We're with you and rooting for you!

    Steve Schwenk

    ReplyDelete
  45. All of us have our foes, but of all the battles that you may enter, or of all the places you might choose or perhaps those chosen for you; dude you are on home turf. So take your stand, be aggressive, and once again show us all how it is won. You have picked the alliance here in Seattle; a group world renowned for their abilities and achievements.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi Daryl -- Thanks for sharing so much personal information, so articulately. We all appreciate it.

    You've also explained why I haven't seen you up at Stevens this winter. We finally bought passes, started dragging the battered Syncro up there, and looked for you every mid-week visit. I didn't think just a crappy little winter could keep you away and I was right.

    At least you can use the lame snowpack to your advantage. Think of it - El Nino has spared you the frustrations of missing bottomless backside days while you sit this one out and focus on your health and family and friends. No powder, no distractions.

    Skiing is great and all, but compared to the rest -- it's just skiing. Right?

    Maybe you, and La Nina can organize a joint, triumphant return to the slopes in 2011 or 12? Yeah, that's the plan. You two work out what it'll take to make it happen. Go ahead, take your time; I'll wait.

    And when you're ready, let me know so I can be there with hot wax on the boards, fresh Redline in the tranny, and my best imitation of your signature "Cherry Valley Mocha" in hand!

    Take care Daryl. You've got a great support network (as expected for someone who has BEEN a great support network for so many for so long) and a great attitude and spirit. You're in our thoughts over here at the King home!

    -Tim

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hello Daryl,

    We have only "spoken" online. I just wanted to express that I cared and wish you and your family well.

    Sanford

    ReplyDelete
  48. So sorry to hear about your trying time. God Bless and keep you strong!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Daryl, I met you almost a year ago when dropping off my old westy tranny at your home and spoke with you a few times about changing tranny fluid in my new rebuilt one. You had my brown westy twin up on a lift with a new Bostig V2.0 you just installed.

    Anyway, I recommended some friends to you near the end of last year and found out through them about your health. I appreciate you posting this blog informing all of your fans (and you have a lot of 'em!) what you and your family and friends are going through. I wish you all the best in your recovery and hope you are road trippin' in your westy real soon.

    Take care,

    Mike Moren from Bellingham.

    (p.s. My rebuilt tranny has been awesome!)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Daryl - Hey, we've never met but I know your name well from the Vanagon list and your stellar reputation.

    I just wanted to wish you the best in your recovery - I think I can speak for the entire bus community in saying that we are all sending you our positve thoughts and prayers.

    Stay tough!

    Best wishes,

    Jeff Lincoln

    ReplyDelete
  51. Daryl,

    We only met a few years back when you rebuilt my 5 speed in an afternoon, but it seemed like I already knew you from the many helpful emails over the years.

    Our thoughts are with you and your family for a full and speedy recovery!

    Take care,

    Shawn & Janis Wright & family

    ReplyDelete
  52. The outpouring of support here reminds me of the kind of support from the list I got when I was in the hospital after I had to crash my bicycle to avoid a baby and broke my femur bone lengthwise and was in a wheelchair for six months (and then spent six months commuting between NYC and Washington DC in the wheelchair). It is great to get these reports Daryl. Maybe when they are done, if there are any weak places in the bone, you can talk them through installing some solid shafts or bearings to shore things up as needed. We need you shored up so you can shore us up. We are all wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Daryl, I hope your treatment(s) is going as well as it possibly can. Peace and well wishes to you and your family. Thanks again for all your past generous advice and work with me and my 87 Syncro Westy. I look forward to finally meeting you someday at an event of somesort. It will certainly be my pleasure. Cheers man and much strength, health, and love from all your fans. -Will Hoenig

    ReplyDelete